Visiting Chennai? Check out these nearby places too
Chennai has some of the most beautiful places around that are ideal for a short vacation.
1. Mahabalipuram: Situated at a distance of around 60 Kms from Chennai , Mahabalipuram, also known as Mammalapuram is rich in ancient history and architecture. It has monuments built by the Pallava dynasty. The Shore Temple, Arjuna’s Penance, Mandapams, Krishna’s Butter Ball, the Tiger Cave are some of the places you must visit in Mahabalipuram. It’s not just the architecture which makes Mahabalipuram a popular tourist destination. The beaches, with white sand and vast sea , make it a great place for a holiday. You can go for a beer and some delicious seafood at one of the shacks. Watching the sunset at the beach, along with the sound of the waves that come crashing at the seashore is an experience that makes you forget the hustle bustle of the city life. The 2004 tsunami uncovered several ancient structures here which have been the focal point of studies by geologists.
2. Pondicherry: Pondicherry is a beautiful Unioun Territory that gives you a glimpse of the French architecture and Culture. A walk in the white town area of Pondicherry makes you see houses with vibrant colours, walls laden with bougainvillae, ancient churches, boulevards and homestyle cafes serving some mouthwatering cuisine. You can visit the rock beach, Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus; Paradise beach which is known for its clear blue water, white sand and water sports. Auroville, also called the City of dawn is another must visit if you are looking for some peace and calm. You can attend the workshops and therapy sessions. Auroville also has different cafes such as the solar kitchen, Auroville bakery, Neem tree eatery , Ganesh bakery and cafe, the solar bowl and many more that offer some delicious food and a great ambience.
3. Pulicat: Located on the border of Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh, Pulicat is a seaside settlement on the Sriharikota island. The Pulicat lake, the second largest salt water lagoon in India is a beautiful sight.
The Pulicat bird Sanctuary has different species of birds, some of the species of birds that migrate to this lake include Reef Herons, Black- tailed godwits amongst others. The lake also has more than a hundred species of fish. The Dutch Fort, and the Dutch cemetery are remenants of the Dutch Colonialization. You can do some water sports activities, enjoy the coastal food and experience the beauty of nature at Pulicat lake.
4. covelong beach: Also called Kovalam beach, it is located at the Coromandel coast, just 40 kilometres from Chennai. The clear sky, blue sea and white sand make it breathtakingly beautiful. Watching the sunset at Covelong beach, when the sky turns a beautiful pink, and the waves hit the sparkling sand in the beach is one experience you shouldn’t miss! There are a lot of water sports activities that can be enjoyed. The old church ruins and the ruins of the Dutch fort are also worth seeing when you are in Covelong.
5. Nagalpuram:Located in the Chitoor district of Andhra Pradesh, Nagalpuram is at a distance of 70 kilometres from Chennai.The Nagalpuram waterfall trek offers a one day trek that makes you see the lush forests, waterfalls , natural pools. Giving you a beautiful experience of the nature.Sridanarayana temple, where the presiding Vishnu deity is in the form of Matsya , which is the first incarnation of Dasavatara is also a major tourist attraction.
So plan your next weekend to one of these places and experience the mesmerising beauty of South India at places that are so close to Chennai